Frequently Asked Questions

Why chose a clinical psychologist over a psychotherapist or social worker for therapy?

A clinical psychologist had earned a masters degree (typically a two year program) and then a doctorate degree (typically a five year program). Additionally, a clinical psychologist must complete a one year hospital internship and have practiced under supervision for 2000 hours. With the extensive education, clinical psychologist can assess, diagnosis and treat a broad spectrum of mental illness. Only someone with a doctorate degree can be a clinical psychologist and work in a private practice setting.

Typically, someone calling themselves a psychotherapist (M.A or M.S.) has a master degree. They must be supervised by a Ph.D. or a M.D. to be in compliance with the state licensing board. A social worker (M.S.W.) has a two year degree and can treat people with out supervision.

For further inquiries, please contact me.